LO3: M3: Composition Techniques

Apply different compositional techniques to the photographs taken


In this report I will be showing different composition techniques used within the photographs I have taken and discuss the rules of photography.

In the picture below, I have adjusted the aperture to have a low F stop, I believe around f4. You can tell this because the few daffodils in the foreground are in focus the the rest in the background are blurred slightly. 

This draws the viewers attention to the flowers at the front rather than what's in the background. This means that my photograph uses the compositional technique of Shallow depth of field since the background is blurred rather than the whole thing being in focus which would be a deep depth of field.

I took the image below from a low angle so that I could make it more interesting and focus the camera on the flowers.  If I took it from a higher perspective then the image would have been boring.  If you compare this to my light trails photo the vanishing point is low and flat in this image but is more like a longer triangle in the light trails image.

I had a few different versions of this photo but I decided to use this one because the cars are in focus.  In another photo the cars are more busy and there is a cyclist that distracts you from the flowers in the foreground.



The picture below shows an image composed using framing. The tree branches at the top and the bottom of the image create the frame. This uses nature to draw attention the the subject of the image which in this case are the trees and plants in the background. This image has deep depth of field as it is all in focus.


The photo below breaks the golden ratio. This is because the image is pretty symmetrical. This draws attention to the subject in the middle of the frame which is a war memorial. The image can be divided into foreground, central image and background. I could improve this image by using the black rail to the left as a leading lines taking the image from the left.




The photo below uses deep depth of field. I used a high aperture, likely around f20, to take this photo. you can tell this because the whole image is in focus. This makes the viewer feel as though they are there, experiencing it first hand. It also allows them to see all of the details in the image.


This picture uses the golden ratio. The vanishing point where the lights meet in the image is the point at the end of the golden ratio. This creates a balanced, aesthetically pleasing composition. It helps lead the viewer through the entire photograph.

I took the image below from a high angle on a  bridge.  This was for safety s I couldn't take it in the road but it also makes a nice triangle effect with the lights and shows a bit of depth in the image as there is a vanishing point.



In conclusion I have shown different composition techniques used within the photographs I have taken and discuss the rules of photography. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LO4: M4: Embedding Metadata